My brother-in-law and sister-in-law are here for a visit this week with our two nieces. In honour of the occasion, I fully intend on having them over for an ice cream sundae party! At least once, probably twice because I love ice cream. A lot. Also because ice cream sundae parties are so much fun with all the topping selections available! I stopped in at Bulk Barn and picked up a bunch of fun toppings. Along with the candies and nuts I purchased, I’m going to whip up some slow cooker caramel sauce and homemade hot fudge sauce. I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we do!
You’re not going to believe this one, but this slow cooker caramel sauce (or Dulce de Leche) uses only one ingredient! (Two if you add the vanilla) It’s so so easy to make AND eat :) Here’s how to make slow cooker caramel sauce:
- 2 cans Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ¾ tsp Vanilla (optional)
- Transfer condensed milk to three ½ pint mason jars and put on the lids and rings.
- Place in slow cooker and cover with water. (About an inch above the jars)
- Cook on low for about 8 hours.
- Remove from water and allow to cool until the jars are room temperature.
- Carefully remove rings and lids.
- Add ¼ tsp of vanilla to each jar (optional).
- Stir well until sauce is smooth.
- To store, replace, lid and ring and store in refrigerator for up to a month.
This recipe is my husband’s personal favorite. He loves hot fudge sauce! He’s even convinced me on several occasions to get hot fudge instead of my usual caramel when we stop at Dairy Queen. Here’s how to make homemade hot fudge sauce:
- ¾ cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- Melt chocolate chips by heating them in the microwave for 30 seconds then stirring and microwaving again until chocolate is melted.
- Transfer to a sauce pan over low heat and add butter, salt and sugar.
- Add cream in small amounts until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir frequently until heated, but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
I’ll be sure to post pictures of our ice cream sundae party later on. I even found some cute ice cream bowls from the dollar store! Which sauce is going to be your favourite?