The following post is a guest post by Cassie from MrsJanuary.com! Enjoy!
Shoppers Drug Mart has one of the best rewards programs in Canada. Their program is called Shoppers Optimum and it is AWESOME.
For every $1 you spend, you will earn 10 Shoppers Optimum points.
Here are the rewards you will receive with your points:
- 8,000 = $10 off your purchase
- 22,000 = $30 off your purchase
- 38,000 = $60 off your purchase
- 50,000 = $85 off your purchase
- 95,000 = $170 off your purchase
At just 10 points for every $1 spent, earning enough points to redeem them for a decent amount of money, seems very difficult. Don’t sweat it, I’ve got you covered!
Here are some ways to earn Shoppers Optimum points much faster:
* Buy a gift card before you shop. If you plan to spend $100 at Shoppers Drug Mart, buy a $100 gift card before you do your shopping. You will earn 1,000 for that purchase (at 10 points per $1). Then, use that gift card to buy your items. As long as you don’t buy any items that don’t earn you points (such as other store gift cards, stamps, lottery tickets, etc.), you will earn an additional 1,000 points for your purchase. That’s double the points!
* Shop on bonus points days. Try to hold off purchasing items at Shoppers Drug Mart until they have some type of a bonus point event. Usually is is 20x the points, but sometimes it’s 15x the points. Obviously, the 20x points event is the best, but if you absolutely need to purchase something at Shoppers Drug Mart, and they are having a 15x points event, by all means, go shop!
* The good thing about the bonus points days, is that you can use coupons to get your total below the recommended price point. Most times, you have to spend a minimum of $50 before taxes in order to get 15x or 20x the points. However, as long as your total is $50 BEFORE taxes and before coupons, you will get the points on your total purchase (before coupons).
For example. Let’s say you buy $65 in merchandise, and you have $35 in coupons. That means you will pay $30 (plus tax) and you will earn bonus points on the original $65! Isn’t that awesome?! It’s definitely the best way to rack up points fast.
* Watch for bonus points sales and coupons. Shoppers Drug Mart frequently updates their website with new bonus points offers. Sometimes they are just offers, and other times they are actual coupons for bonus points, that the cashier will need to scan when you shop. These bonus points could be anything from “earn 500 bonus points when you buy 2 Colgate toothpaste” to “earn 3000 bonus points when you spend $10 or more on Dove products”.
These bonus point coupons and sales aren’t always posted on the Shoppers Drug Mart website, so be sure to take a little stroll through the store to see if there are any that are unadvertised. They are the little stickers that are attached to the price tags on the shelves.
Once you have accumulated lots and lots of points, then comes the fun part – redeeming them for free groceries and/or other items!
You can redeem at the regular level (listed above), but to get the best bang for your buck, only redeem your points on bonus redemption days.
Bonus redemption days happen every few months (sometimes more) at Shoppers Drug Mart. The usual bonus redemption is:
- 50,000 points = $100 off your purchase (an extra $15!)
- 95,000 points = $200 off your purchase (an extra $30!)
You can redeem for groceries, cosmetics, perfumes, cleaning supplies, medicines (not prescription), books, magazines, candy and sooooo much more!
Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum program really is the best in Canada. If you aren’t already a member, I would strongly suggest getting a card (it’s free!) and signing up. You won’t regret it!