My Mom, being the awesome Mom she is, sent along her instructions, with a couple of pictures, on how she makes homemade vegetable broth!
The broth is perfect for soups, stews, rice dishes, Risotto, and pasta sauces!
Want to know how to make vegetable broth? Read on…
There are a ton of vegetable scraps that can be salvaged for broth:
- carrot peelings
- broccoli, mushroom pieces, celery, peppers, onions
- Herb stems
- Pretty much anything if it isn’t rotten!
Here are some tips to prepare your scraps:
- Scrub your vegetables before peeling
- Place all your scraps/peelings into a freezer bag or container
- Keep adding to the bag/container until you have enough to make the broth (about 4-6 cups worth)
Vegetable Broth Method:
- Place the peels to a stock pot, add enough water to cover completely, then add ground pepper, bay leaf and a garlic clove.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Cool the broth, then strain and discard (compost) the solids.
- Pour broth into containers and refrigerate or freeze for up to 3 months.