Do you find your pantry and freezer overflowing with food, yet you keep buying more food?
Would you like to join me this month in possibly saving hundreds of dollars on your grocery bill by eating out of your pantry and freezer?
We’ve been feeling lately, in the Simply Frugal household, as though we’ve got way too much food just hanging around not leaving the pantry and freezers. (umm, except for the ice cream, that mysteriously disappears !)
Since I’d like to use up what we have in the freezer and pantry to eventually replenish our supplies with fresher items and maybe give our deep freeze a good cleaning, I thought a challenge would get me motivated! Maybe it will help you as well?
Here’s the plan:
Starting on Wednesday, August 8, the Eating from the Pantry/Freezer challenge will officially start!
I’ll be sharing my menu plan and goals next Wednesday and would love to hear your plans and goals as well!
What you’ll need to do before August 8:
- Do a complete inventory of your pantry, freezer and fridge
- Decide what your goals will be for the challenge (how much do you want to save, how long do you think you’ll be doing the challenge for…etc)
- Write up a meal plan for at least the first five days of the challenge (Wednesday – Sunday)
- Make a list of the items you’ll need to buy to complete your meals. (I’ll still be buying produce and dairy and eggs)
Every Monday following (August 13, 20, and 27) I’ll be sharing my menu plans and progress. This would be a great time for those of you joining in on the challenge to share or link to your menus and progress in the comment section! I’ll also be tracking how much I’m spending on groceries for the duration of this challenge and sharing my totals.
Does this makes sense? Any questions?
Here are some useful resources to help you out with the challenge:
- Printable freezer inventory checklist
- Tips for Successful Menu Planning, Part 1
- Tips for Successful Menu Planning, Part 2
Will you be joining me as we eat from the pantry and freezer?