Looking for another valuable use for that KitchenAid stand mixer? How about shredding meat? It works so well to shred some cooked chicken breasts, boneless pork butt, or beef roast. If you have ever tried to “pull” a pork shoulder with forks, you know this can take a bit of time. With the stand mixer and the normal beater attachment, you can shred a pound of cooked chicken breast straight from the slow cooker in under 30 seconds! (Tip: You can also use a hand mixer!) Take a look at this handy kitchen hack:
Here’s how to shred meat in under 30 seconds:
1. Take your meat straight from cooking and toss it in the mixing bowl.
2. Make sure the beater attachment is in place.
3. Raise the bowl and hit a low power setting for about 30 seconds.
4. Enjoy your shredded meat!
So you no longer need to hesitate to make recipes like chicken enchiladas, pulled pork, or beef barbecue because of this tedious job again. If you don’t have a KitchenAid, here is another great reason why you might just want to take the plunge!
My Mom, being the awesome Mom she is, sent along her instructions, with a couple of pictures, on how she makes homemade vegetable broth!
The broth is perfect for soups, stews, rice dishes, Risotto, and pasta sauces!
Want to know how to make vegetable broth? Read on…
How to make Vegetable Broth
There are a ton of vegetable scraps that can be salvaged for broth:
- carrot peelings
- broccoli, mushroom pieces, celery, peppers, onions
- Herb stems
- Pretty much anything if it isn’t rotten!
Here are some tips to prepare your scraps:
- Scrub your vegetables before peeling
- Place all your scraps/peelings into a freezer bag or container
- Keep adding to the bag/container until you have enough to make the broth (about 4-6 cups worth)
Vegetable Broth Method:
- Place the peels to a stock pot, add enough water to cover completely, then add ground pepper, bay leaf and a garlic clove.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Cool the broth, then strain and discard (compost) the solids.
- Pour broth into containers and refrigerate or freeze for up to 3 months.
After seeing the Curried Lentil Soup in jars my friend Leslie over at DefinitelyNotMartha.com put together for gifts, I knew I had to do it too! I think they’re perfect for spur of the moment gifts as well as a good idea for teacher gifts. I especially like the fact that the recipient only has to add water and the contents of the jar to enjoy!
I made up these quick labels for the jars if you’d like to use them when you put together the jars.
If you made some of the homemade vanilla I gave instructions to in this post, then you’ll surely have some extra vanilla beans!
I had quite a few left over so I thought I’d try making some vanilla sugar for a bit of a treat when added to coffee or tea!
- Add granulated sugar to an empty mason jar
- Split one vanilla bean down the middle length wise
- Cut the bean into small pieces over the sugar
- Put the lid on the jar, then shake up
You’ll have vanilla sugar ready for the very next day!
Cheap Healthy Breakfast Ideas
As the saying goes, ‘Breakfast is the most important meal of the day’. So while this is true, it can also be the least expensive and easiest meal to make of the day. With using items like sausage, veggies, eggs, and other ingredients that are easily accessible, you can easily make breakfast for the whole family for under $5.
Here are my favourite Healthy Breakfast Ideas for under $5:
- Greek Yogurt and Fruit – You can usually pick up a tub of Greek Yogurt for under $4. Use some frozen fruit and maple syrup for a topping and you have a delicious breakfast.
- French Toast – One of my family’s favorite meals is French toast… for breakfast or dinner ;). For some reason, we can’t get enough of it. I don’t mind because using whole wheat, I can make the French toast semi-healthy! We add fruit topping or peanut butter instead of real maple syrup sometimes.
- Banana with Peanut Butter – Is there anything more delicious than bananas and peanut butter? I think not! It also makes for a very filling breakfast for little ones. If your child doesn’t like bananas, try cutting up an apple for them. Delicious, healthy, and simple!
- Breakfast burritos – Using low carb or whole wheat tortillas, mix up eggs, salsa, and cheese to make a yummy breakfast concoction.
- Oatmeal – The lovely thing about oatmeal is that you can make it simple and healthy. Oatmeal is cheap and can feed a lot of people at one time. I’ve got three great recipes for oatmeal: Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal, Chunky Monkey Oatmeal or Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets.
- Fruit salad – One of my favorite healthy meals for under $5 is taking all the leftover fruit in the fridge and mixing it together to create a fruit salad. Sometimes I add a bit of yogurt on top. Yum!
- Veggie omelet – A dozen eggs can be bought for a little over $2. Make a yummy veggie omelet to feed your family a healthy meal for under $5.
- Sausage and Eggs – Keep breakfast simple by making sausage and eggs for your breakfast of choice. My family never complains about this meal.
- Homemade banana muffins – If you have old bananas in your possession, make some muffins out of them. A simple breakfast that will save you money! These are my most favourite Banana Chocolate Chip muffins.
These 9 healthy breakfast ideas for under $5 will help you stay on budget and keep you feeling great all day long. It’s easy to swing through the drive thru and get caught up in a $20 breakfast for the family. But instead, it’s just as easy to make your own breakfast at home for $5 (and stay in your pajamas!).
What healthy breakfast ideas do you have for under $5?
Not only is owning an Instant Pot going to save you money, you should know that some well-loved dinner classics are perfect for whipping up in a jiffy in the appliance. Not all Instant Pot recipes need to be fancy, in fact some of the best Instant Pot recipes are comfort food classics that will soon become family favorites. Look at these 6 dinner classics perfect for preparing in an Instant Pot, and be prepared to wow your family and their taste buds!
6 Dinner Classics Perfect For Preparing in an Instant Pot
1. Instant Pot Beef Stew.
What is more comforting than beef stew? Your Instant Pot is perfect for beef stew with all the fixings, including tender beef and fresh vegetables. You can even freeze your beef stew for later or keep it for several days worth of meals. No matter what time of year it is, Instant Pot beef stew can fit the bill when you need some savory and filling comfort food.
2. Instant Pot Spaghetti
Kids love spaghetti, and your Instant Pot can whip it up in no time. Consider using an assortment of fresh herbs, various pastas, and even fresh meat. With your Instant Pot you can experiment with ingredients to create your own unique spaghetti dish. Spaghetti will never be boring again, and you might just create a famous family recipe!
3. Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs
Swedish meatballs make the perfect side dish or appetizer. Having a party? Consider making Swedish Meatballs in your Instant Pot! You can whip up this comfort food classic fast, and in no time have an appetizer or side dish everyone will love. Just grab the toothpicks!
4. Instant Pot Orange Chicken
Ready for some Asian flare? Then Instant Pot Orange Chicken it is! Forget paying big bucks to get this dish via carry out. Instead, make your own in your Instant Pot. Orange Chicken can be whipped up quickly, and all you need to do is add a side of rice. Delish!
5. Instant Pot BBQ Ribs
Do you think you need to spend all afternoon at the grill to get yummy BBQ ribs? Not with an Instant Pot! You can make your own BBQ ribs in your Instant Pot in no time, using a savory, spicy, or sweet sauce of your choice to get the perfect rib flavor.
6. Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
What kid doesn’t like mac and cheese? There are hundreds of Instant Pot Mac and Cheese recipes out there perfect for your evening meal. You can experiment with various kinds of pasta, and even use an assortment of cheeses for a rich, cheesy flavor.
Are you ready to get dinner on the table fast? Then consider these 6 dinner classics perfect for preparing in an Instant Pot and get a tasty dinner classic on the table fast. You will find that the internet is full of tried and true recipes (especially Pinterest!), perfect for a newbie or even the most experienced Instant Pot user to explore. So go ahead and grab an Instant Pot and give these classics a try!