Cheap Family Activities for Family Day
It’s extremely important for any family to intentionally take the time once in a while to have fun as a family. Life can be very busy so making a conscious effort to slow down together without the demands of other friends/family/work/school can be so beneficial.
Family fun, however, does not have to cost a lot! Sure, there are activities that can cost a lot (and those are fun!), but there are so many fun cheap family activities too.
With Family Day in Canada quickly approaching, I thought I’d share some ideas for cheap family fun!
Cheap Family Activities:
- Have a picnic inside
- Start your garden seeds inside – Use this as an opportunity to teach your children about patience, responsibility and how things grow!
- Movie night – Pick a movie that you haven’t watched in a while and make some homemade microwave popcorn! We’ve been having fun watching some of the movies my husband and I watched when we were kids.
- Have a theme night/day – Mexican, Italian, pirate…the list goes on. Plan dinners and activities around your theme!
- Have a craft night – paint, sew, make bracelets, draw…etc!
- Head to your local library – stock up on reading material or even sit in on story time!
- Have a game night – pull out those board games and cards!
- Unplug – Turn off the cell phone, TV, computer and just reconnect with your wonderful family!
- Shop at a thrift store together.
- Have a dance party.
- Build stuff with Lego.
- Make everyone a nice warm drink, then read together with your own books.
- Go bird watching – see how many different types of birds you can spot. Maybe bring along a bird book from the library.
- Go ice skating – many ice rinks offer free skating on certain days
- Build an indoor fort – camp out in it or have a picnic in it!
- Have another family over for dinner – this is way cheaper then eating out!
- If it’s a holiday weekend, see if there are any free events taking place.
- Visit a local ski hill and wander around. Maybe grab an inexpensive treat to enjoy.
- Go tobogganing.
- Go snowshoeing.
- Bake something together.
- Write a simple story together.
- Face painting. Here are some easy face painting designs.
- Do a scavenger hunt. Either inside or outside would be fun!
- Redecorate or rearrange a bedroom with things you already own.
- Play video games together.
- Go for a walk around the neighborhood.
What other free or cheap family activities can you suggest?