It’s extremely important for any family to intentionally take the time once in a while to have fun as a family. Life can be very busy so making a conscious effort to slow down together without the demands of other friends/family/work/school can be so beneficial.
With Family Day in Canada quickly approahing, I thought I’d share some ideas for cheap family fun!
- Have a picnic inside
- Start your garden seeds inside – Use this as an opportunity to teach your children about patience, responsibility and how things grow!
- Movie night – grab a movie off your shelf that you haven’t watched in a while and make some homemade microwave popcorn!
- Have a theme night/day – Mexican, Italian, pirate…the list goes on. Plan dinners and activities around your theme!
- Have a craft night – paint, sew (here are some simple felt sewing ideas), draw…etc!
- Head to your local library – stock up on reading material or even sit in on story time!
- Have a game night – pull out those board games and cards!
- Unplug – Turn off the cell phone, TV, computer and just reconnect with your wonderful family!
- Go bird watching – see how many different types of birds you can spot. Maybe bring along a bird book from the library.
- Go ice skating – many ice rinks offer free skating on certain days
- Build an indoor fort – camp out in it or have a picnic in it!
- Have another family over for dinner – this is way cheaper then eating out!
I’m sure many of these ideas can be adapted to families or couples, summer or winter!
What other free or cheap activities can you suggest?