This recipe for the ultimate comfort food, Easy Freezer-Friendly Shepherd’s Pie is one of our family’s favourite. Ground beef and veggies smothered in a tasty gravy, topped with delicious mashed potatoes. Yum yum!
This freezer-friendly Shepherd’s Pie is one of those easy to prepare comfort foods. It’s a simple meal that uses ingredients that you usually have on hand. It’s perfect for the freezer to cook another day, or you can make it ahead and refrigerate until you’re ready to cook it for dinner. This recipe includes the use of beef gravy or Shepherd’s Pie gravy, which adds a delicious touch of flavour to the Shepherd’s Pie and keeps it moist and tender.
Here’s how to make Easy Freezer-Friendly Shepherd’s Pie:
- 1 ½ lb. lean ground beef
- 1 bag mixed frozen vegetables
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- About 10 medium potatoes
- 6 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 package Shepherd's Pie gravy mix prepared as per instructions
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Peel and cut potatoes.
- Cook in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes, drain.
- Add butter, milk and mash then set aside.
- In a large pan, add ground beef, onion, and garlic and cook until browned.
- Add bag of frozen mixed vegetables, heat through.
- In the meantime prepare gravy mix as per instructions.
- Stir gravy into meat and vegetable mix.
- Transfer to freezer safe baking dish.
- Top with mashed potato mix and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, if desired.
- Once assembled, cover freezer safe baking dish really well. Place in freezer.
- To serve, defrost, then preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered. Then bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.