(Note: The links in this post are affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here. Thank you for your support!)
Frugal Gift Ideas for Kids
Shopping for gifts for kids can be tricky. While there is no shortage of ideas out there, it can be tough finding quality, engaging toys. So my goal with this gift guide was to find ideas that inspire creativity, teaches a skill, is practical or gets them up and moving!
Gift Ideas for Toddlers
- Koala Capers Game – This looks like a simple but silly game for the whole family to enjoy!
- Chirp Magazine subscription – Offers pages of stories, puzzles, illustrations and colourful photographs produced by some of Canada’s most talented authors and artists.
- Wipe Clean Workbook – Both my daughters have loved these types of books!
- Shopping List Game – A favourite in our house!
- Kids Play Tent – Perfect for a quiet play space in a cozy corner.
- Water Doodle Mat – Time for some mess free fun with one of these mats!
- Carpet Playmat Rug – Popular with all kids. Hours of pretend play fun!
- Play Doh Noodle Makin Mania Set – You can’t go wrong with Play-Doh! This is one of those messy activities that I allow because of the depth of play.
- Assortment of Wild Animals – Still a favourite here, my youngest plays with animals all the time!
- Electric Toothbrush – Who says that the best gifts can’t be practical too?
- Earflap Hat – I love that these have a built in scarf!
- Melissa & Doug Reusable Sticker Pads – A long time favourite in our house.
- VTech Drill & Learn Toolbox – This looks like a great toy for the kids who love to figure out how things work.
- Color Matching Mosaic Pegboard – Looks like an activity that could keep youngsters occupied for more than 3 minutes!
Gift Ideas for Kids (Age 5 – 12)
- Deluxe Art Set – The artist will love carrying this around everywhere they go!
- Unicorn 3D Night Light – This one is just a super cool idea.
- Lip Balm Making Kit – My daughter and I always enjoy doing kits like these together.
- Paint Your Own Figurines – I would have loved these when I was young!
- Charm Bracelet Making Kit – They will have fun creating bracelets that they can keep for themselves or give to a friend.
- Rainbow Loom – My daughter and her cousin had so much fun creating bracelets when they were together this summer.
- PBS Kids Do It Myself Cookbook – Perfect for a child wanting to learn how to cook!
- Kid Nylon Knife Set – I actually purchased my daughters a set of these because they like to help in the kitchen.
- Owl or Chickadee Magazine Subscription – Includes interactive stories, puzzles, comics, animal features, and science experiments educate and entertain readers.
- LED Bike Wheel Lights – These are just so cool! And provide extra visibility.
- Magnetic Dart Board Set – Hours of fun, in a safe way!
- Adventure Design Plate Rubbing Activity – These could be really great for road trips or airplane rides.
- LEGO Classic Brick Box – LEGO is always a fantastic option!
- Winter Hat – These are ridiculously cute and warm!