The best frugal gift ideas for Kids
Shopping for gifts for kids can be tricky. While there is no shortage of ideas out there, it can be tough finding quality, engaging toys. So my goal with this gift guide was to find ideas that inspire creativity, teaches a skill, is practical or gets them up and moving!
Bonus, nearly all the gift ideas are $30 or less! If it’s not less than $30, it comes highly vetted by me!
(Note: The links in this post are affiliate links. Read the disclosure policy here.)
Gift Ideas for Toddlers
- Koala Capers Game – This looks like a simple but silly game for the whole family to enjoy!
- Shopping List Game – A favourite in our house!
- Kids Play Tent – Perfect for a quiet play space in a cozy corner.
- Water Doodle Mat – Time for some mess free fun with one of these mats!
- Carpet Playmat Rug – Popular with all kids. Hours of pretend play fun!
- Play Doh Noodle Makin Mania Set – You can’t go wrong with Play-Doh! This is one of those messy activities that I allow because of the depth of play.
- Assortment of Wild Animals – Still a favourite here, my youngest plays with animals all the time!
- Electric Toothbrush – Who says that the best gifts can’t be practical too?
- Earflap Hat – I love that these have a built in scarf!
- 4 in 1 Magnetic Fishing Game – This looks like a great activity for practicing fine motor skills
- Wooden Toy Mixer/Bake set – I haven’t met one child that doesn’t like to pretend with real life toys!
- Picasso tiles – These magnetic tiles are more then $30, but I highly, highly recommend them!
- 18 Piece Doll Feeding Set – Doll accessories like these have been a huge hit in our family.
- Tangram Shape Puzzle Set – These are great for practicing problem solving and fine motor skills
- LCD Writing Tablet – We have a couple of these and they are always used! Great for in the car too!
Gift Ideas for Kids (Age 5 – 12)
- Deluxe Art Set – The artist will love carrying this around everywhere they go!
- Unicorn 3D Night Light – This one is just a super cool idea.
- Lip Balm Making Kit – My daughter and I always enjoy doing kits like these together.
- Stomp Rocket – We had a ton of fun using a stomp rocket with our neighbor boys this summer!
- Paint Your Own Figurines – I would have loved these when I was young!
- Charm Bracelet Making Kit – They will have fun creating bracelets that they can keep for themselves or give to a friend.
- Rainbow Loom – My daughter and her cousin had so much fun creating bracelets when they were together this summer.
- The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs – Perfect for a child wanting to learn how to cook!
- Kid Nylon Knife Set – I actually purchased my daughters a set of these because they like to help in the kitchen.
- LED Bike Wheel Lights – These are just so cool! And provide extra bike visibility.
- Magnetic Dart Board Set – Hours of fun, in a safe way!
- Adventure Design Plate Rubbing Activity – These could be really great for road trips or airplane rides.
- LEGO Classic Brick Box – LEGO is always a fantastic option!
- Sumolux Winter Hat – These are ridiculously cute and warm! Available in many different styles.
- Dino Hatch Bath Bombs – These look like a ton of bath fun.
Cheap Gifts for Kids that are $10 or Less
- Wipe Clean Workbook – Both my daughters have loved these types of books!
- Melissa & Doug Reusable Sticker Pad – These have been hours of fun in our house.
- Hidden Pictures Discovery Activity Zone – This has been really fun for my oldest daughter to do when we’re driving in the car.
- Sketch Book – I think every child needs a book with black pages for doodling and drawing!
- Paint by Sticker Kids – This looks like a really fun rainy day or car activity! (A little more than $10 in Canada)
- Paint your Own Stepping Stone – Perfect for the little artist that would love painting something besides rocks.
- Water Wow Reusable Activity Book – Another favorite in our household. There are so many different themes too!
- No Spill Bubble Tumbler – Bubbles are so fun and even more fun when they don’t spill!
- Kids binoculars – Any little explorer would love a pair of binoculars.
- Lip Smackers Frappe Cup Lip Balm – It really doesn’t matter what kind of lip balm, but my daughters love to get a lip balm.
- Baby Toddler Sunglasses – A very useful, practical gift. 🙂
- Sand Brick Building Set – This looks like a ton of fun for the beach or sandbox!
- Fisher Price On-The-Go Wallet – Great role play fun for youngsters.
- Hot Wheels Fast & Furious 5 pack – A great gift idea for any Hot Wheels fan!
- Endangered Animals Nature Tube – A great addition to your animal collection.
- Slinky – Everyone loves a Slinky!
- Flashlight – Every kid needs a flashlight for fort building, camping and exploring.
- Animal Eraser Set – These are really cute and fun. Can also be taken apart and reassembled like a puzzle.
- Play-Doh – This always keeps my girls entertained and creative for quite some time!
- 1000+ Ridiculously Cute Stickers – I don’t know one child that wouldn’t love a sticker book.
- Little ABC Coloring Book – Really, any kind of coloring book is great fun.
- The 3 Minute Gratitude Journal – Gift giving seasons are a great time to cultivate an attitude of gratitude.
- Classic Kids Card Games – I love this card game pack that includes 6 popular games.
- Big Magnifying Glass – I remember using the magnifying glass my parents had all the time outside!
- Felt Friends Craft Activity Kit – This looks like a lot of fun!
- Travel Spirograph – A fun creative outlet for older kids
- Paper Airplane Book – My daughter was gifted this book and has had a lot of fun creating all sorts of different paper airplanes!
- Sea Life Mazes – Mazes are always a hit!
- Glow in the Dark Perler Beads – Perler beads that glow in the dark? I’m not a kid, but I want some!
- I Spy Animals – This could be hours of fun!
I’d love to know some of your no fail gift ideas. Let us know in the comments below!