Homemade dryer sheets have answered one of my laundry conundrums. For the longest time I was using plain white vinegar as a fabric softener in the wash, but I started to miss having that fresh smell that store bought fabric softeners provided. So, I thought I’d try my hand at creating my own homemade dryer sheets! The bonus in my mind, is that I’m still not using harsh chemicals to scent my laundry which is perfect for my family!
Here’s how to make homemade dryer sheets:
What you’ll need:
- a jar with a lid
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 20 drops of essential oil
- several “rags” (ripped up t-shirts, baby cloths)
What to do:
- Place your rags into your jar.
- Pour 1 cup of white vinegar and 20 drops of essential oil over top the rags.
- Put the lid on the jar and shake it up!
- Each time you put a load of laundry into the dryer, take a rag out of the jar and put it in with the laundry.
- Dry as you would normally.
For my homemade dryer sheets, I’ve been using old baby cloths and a few rags that I cut from stained baby clothing. I also used lavender essential oil, but next time I make a batch I’ll add 10 drops of vanilla and 10 drops of lavender!
Be sure to check out this post explaining how I clean my whole house without chemicals!
What’s one store bought item that you’ve replaced with a homemade version?