One aspect of the frugal lifestyle is using things you already have on hand, even if they don’t work perfectly for the task. Rather than running to the store to buy something (and most likely spending a ton), you could try improvising using something you already own. It’s amazing how much stuff we already have to work with, once we’re able to train ourselves to stop running to the store for every thing we think we “need”.
In today’s post I hope to help spark creativity and give you new ideas for looking at the things you already own in a new way. With the ultimate goal, of course, making you rethink your normal spending habits.
Is there something you need right now, that you were planning to buy, that you could possibly create a solution for using something you already have?
I rounded up 25 amazing and creative ways to use old things in a new way. I am very inspired by these upcycling ideas, and I hope that you will be too!
- Single Earrings used as Push Pins – via Real Simple
- Upcycled Crib into an Art Table – via a Little Learning for Two
- Cheese Grater as an Earring Holder – via Simply Frugal
- Empty DVD Case into a Coloring Kit – via Whimsicle
- Rake Wine Glass Holder – via Country Living
- Egg Cartons for Ornament Storage – via Apartment Therapy
- Empty Pop Boxes into Can Storage – via Then She Made
- Cookie Sheet Serving Tray – via Martha Stewart
- Cookie Sheet Magnetic Tray – via Fave Crafts
- Wooden Crate as decorative Shelving – via Curbly
- Upcycled Sweater Pillow – via Infarrantly Creative
- Old Drawers into a Book Shelf – via Country Living
- Old Door into a Coat Rack – via Pinterest
- Old Nightstand into Kids Work Bench – via The Frugal Granny
- Whisk into a Tea Light Holder – via Minha Casa (use with caution!)
- Upcycled Books into Shelves – via Real Simple
- Altoids Tin into Pin Cushion – via Felt Magnet
- Toilet Paper Roll Wall Art – via Imperfectly Perfect
- Shutter Magazine Rack – via My Repurposed Life
- Rain Gutter Kids Bookshelves – via Sunshine on the Inside
- Plastic Spoon Chrysanthemum Mirror – via Addicted 2 Decorating
- Mason Jar Herb Garden – via Camille Styles
- Wine Cork Bathmat – via Crafty Nest
- Upcycled Spoon Ring – via Through the Front Door
- Upcycled Blue Jean Tote – via Denim Do Over
Have you ever upcycled or re-purposed anything? What did you make? Which of these 25 projects inspires you the most?