This is such a simple gift idea that is inexpensive and a great way for kids to use their imaginations rather than grabbing for the electronics. Today I would love to share my Play Dough Gift idea…Candy Cane Play Dough!
You can make the Candy Cane Play Dough and give that as a gift… or you can fill a jar with the dry ingredients and let your recipients make the play dough themselves at home. Either way, I think it’s a fun and unique gift idea for kids.
Here’s how to make Candy Cane Play Dough:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup salt
5-6 drops of peppermint essential oil (or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 cup cold water
Red washable paint/watercolor
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
2. Add the extract, oil and water and mix until well incorporated.
3. Remove dough from bowl and place on a flat, lightly floured surface. Knead until a soft play dough forms (this takes about 3-4 minutes).
4. Separate the play dough in half. Set aside one half and place the other in a medium mixing bowl.
5. Add the red paint/watercolor to the play dough in the bowl and mix until your desired color is achieved. I added about 2 Tablespoons of paint to get a rich red color.
6. Lay both colors of play dough out on your play surface and sprinkle with glitter. Enjoy making candy canes, peppermint “candies”, etc!
There you have it! A fun and frugal gift idea that kids are sure to enjoy! I’m excited to give it to my daughter, maybe we’ll get to enjoy drinking hot coffee on Christmas morning!