I don’t know about you, but I tend to drink a lot of hot drinks this time of the year. I even have a few favorites that I would love to share with you!
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Sugar or sweetener of choice
- Add all the ingredients to a pot.
- Sugar (or sweetener of your choice) is added according to your personal taste.
- Simmer until steaming!
- Two 1L containers of apple juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp whole allspice
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- In a large pot, combine apple juice and cinnamon sticks.
- Wrap allspice and cloves in a small piece of cheesecloth, and add to pot.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, and keep warm.
Can also be made in a slow cooker!
What are your favourite cold weather drinks?
I don’t think for a moment that just because I choose to be frugal, I have to miss out on life’s simple pleasures. As a matter of fact, I think that being frugal makes me appreciate life’s simple pleasures even more! Or maybe frugality forces me to look for those things in life that can be a pleasure?
One of my simple pleasures is International Delight coffee cream, French Vanilla flavored. I don’t often buy it, but I’ve been wanting to challenge myself by attempting to make things from scratch at home. In return for my efforts, I’ll cut down on cost as well as create something that is better for my health without all the additives!
Here’s my recipe for homemade flavored coffee cream (Vanilla):
- 1 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
Combine all three of those ingredients in a jar (or even your old coffee cream container), shake it up, then enjoy! It should last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. (You’ll see all the ingredients and the jar I used in the above picture)
Here are some other flavor combinations you might enjoy:
- Chocolate Raspberry: 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, 2 Tablespoons raspberry syrup
- Chocolate Almond: 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Strudel: 1 Tablespoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Amaretto: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon almond extract