Staying home is one of the simplest ways to have more time, spend less money, accumulate less clutter, and to simply live a less busy lifestyle!
Staying home used to be so hard for me. I’d go out to the mall or even drive over to the next city over for some ‘better shopping’, way more than I needed to. These trips would always result in money spent on lunch out, deals I may have thought I needed, and probably takeout for dinner because I was too tired to cook! Totally not worth it.
However, I don’t cut out every activity because I do value time spent with our family and friends. But even these times can be held at home if necessary.
I’m amazed at how much I can get done at home when I limit my time out on the town. I actually enjoy my once a week grocery shopping trip because I have had time to plan ahead and look forward to the meals I picked to prepare. Some days, I seem to be out more than I am at home. That’s okay because then I plan a day to stay home to catch up!
Staying home more really works for me!
Here are some ideas to be happier at home:
- Invite friends or family over for a movie/dinner night
- Buy/pick some inexpensive flowers such as daffodils
- Read a good book
- Take a nice bath
- Enjoy a dinner by candlelight
- Clear out as much clutter as possible, clean off the kitchen counter tops, get rid of at least one pile of papers
- Listen to your favorite music
- Listen to your favorite music LOUD when you’re cleaning
- Surround yourself with the things you love, allow no room for things that don’t make you feel happy
- Take time to enjoy your favorite hot or cold beverage in the mornings (or evenings)
- Keep your favorite candle burning
- Bake: it tastes great and smells wonderful
- Work at wanting what you have rather than having what you want
- Play board games with family or friends
- Stop resenting what your house isn’t and start appreciating what it is.
- Display family photos
What would you add to this list? I’d love to hear your ideas!