January. The month where I feel the overwhelming need to purge and get organized. Of course, with Christmas just passing, that surely doesn’t help the feeling. Especially since we’ve just received new stuff and spent December flying around visiting, shopping, baking and just generally not tidying up after ourselves! (or is that just me?)
In an attempt to feel better about the place I call home, enter, the Declutterathon! A decluttering marathon for you and me!
Throughout the month of January, I’ll be posting some tasks, tips and free printables relating to organization that will help you to enjoy a cleaner home by the end of the month! Woo hoo! I’m really excited because as you may know, we moved into a new home less than a year ago and I’m still trying to figure out how best to organize things.
Although organization is not exactly what some would consider to be a “frugal” topic, I think it goes well with my desire to live a more simple life. (The “Simply” in my Simply Frugal name choice). Ridding my home of excess makes me appreciate my home and the objects I choose to live with more. Never mind the fact that I usually don’t want to add any new things because I can breathe with the new found space! (as well as spend less time cleaning and wasting money!)
This year, I’ve decided to do a daily task (Monday – Friday). I’m going to be jumping all over the place since I tend to get frustrated when I work in the same room for too long. I find it really daunting to work on a whole room and end up quitting before I get started. So I find if I break each room of my home into little projects, I see improvement almost instantly, which keeps me going!
Let’s get on with the tasks shall we?
But first of all, are you in? Will you be joining me to get organized in January? 🙂 The big Declutterathon event starts tomorrow January 3, 2018. You may have to adjust the tasks to suit your own needs.
- January 3: Organize Coupons/Menu Plan
- January 4: Organize/Purge Toys
- January 5: Organize Purses
- January 8: Organize Board Games
- January 9: Put Away Christmas Decorations
- January 10: Organize Craft Supplies
- January 11: Organize/Purge Footwear
- January 12: Purge Clothes
- January 15: Organize/Purge Books
- January 16: Organize Bathroom Cupboards
- January 17: Organize Nightstands
- January 18: Organize Electronics (cords, batteries…etc)
- January 19: Clean Under Beds
- January 22: Tidy Desk/Organize Digital Photos
- January 23: Refill Spices (wipe bottles)
- January 24: Work on Filing System, Shred Papers
- January 25: Clean Fridge and Freezers
- January 26: Organize/Clean Pantry Cupboards
- January 29: Organize Office Supplies
- January 30: Tidy/Purge Linens (Sheets, Towels),
- January 31: Organize Recipes
This year, I’ve also created a calendar for the month of January listing the daily organizing tasks. Since I’ve been finding I also need more of a cleaning routine to keep the house less disastrous, I’ve added daily cleaning tasks too. (Like laundry, bathrooms, vacuuming…etc.) Hopefully you’ll find the calendar useful! You can download and print it by clicking on the image below.
I’ll will be posting random progress reports throughout the week over in the Simply Frugal Facebook group and Instagram! Follow me on Instagram @simplyfrugal and use the hashtag #declutterathon to get updates and see what others are up to during the challenge! If you’re on Pinterest, be sure to follow my organization board for interesting organization links!