This was such a big hit in past years, that I took the time to update it with this year’s dates! Hope you enjoy 🙂
Are you living in the Okanagan or planning on taking a trip there this summer? The Okanagan happens to be the place I call home, so I thought I’d create a guide full of fun, frugal activities that take place in the land of sun. The goal is for this to be The Ultimate Frugal Okanagan Summer Activity Guide. If you have an event or know of a really cool place to visit, let me know and I’ll add it to the list!
- Lake Country Farmer’s Market: Fridays from 3pm – 7pm. June – September.
- Osoyoos Farmer’s Market: Saturdays from 9am – 2pm. May through September.
- Armstrong Farmer’s Market: Saturdays from 8am – 12pm. End of April – end of October.
- Salmon Arm Farmers Market: Tuesdays and Fridays from 8am – 1pm. May 19 – October 6, 2017.
- Vernon Farmer’s Market: Mondays and Thursdays from 8am – 1pm. April 20 – October 30, 2017.
- Kelowna Farmer’s Market: Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8am – 1pm. April – October, 2017.
- Naramata Community Market: Wednesdays from 3:00pm-6:00pm. June 14 – September 7, 2017.
- Penticton Farmer’s Market: Saturdays from 8:30am – 1pm. April to October.
- West Kelowna Farmer’s Market: Saturdays 9am – 2pm. July 1 – September 16, 2017.
- Summerland Farmer’s Market: Tuesdays 9am – 1pm. April – last Tuesday in October.
- Peachland Farmer’s Market: Sundays 10am – 2pm. Open last Sunday in May – Last Sunday in September.
- Sun Peaks & Region Farmers’ Market – Sundays 9:30am – 1:30pm. June 18 – September 3, 2017
Food & Wine:
The Okanagan is well know for its award winning wines and wineries. Many of them offer free tours and wine tastings. See a huge list of Okanagan wineries, here.
- Party in the Park – in Okanagan Falls – July 7, 5pm – 9pm.
- Okanagan Wine Festivals – They have a great list of events that happen all year long.
- Mile High Wine & Music – at Silver Star – August 12, 2017, 4pm – 7pm
- Cider Tasting – at BX Press Cidery. Tastings are daily from 11am – 5pm starting May long weekend.
- Gasthaus on the Lake – in Peachland
- Okanagan Feast of Fields – at Caldwell Heritage Farm in Kelowna – August 13, 2017.
- Okanagan Spirits Craft Distillery – Tastings available all day Monday – Saturday.
- Rogers Bulk Food Store -in Armstrong – Open Monday – Saturday, 9am – 5pm.
- Okanagan Grocery Artisan Breads Bakery – in Kelowna – Open Tuesday – Saturday 9:30am – 5:30pm
- Okanagan Bakehouse: in Vernon – Open Tuesday-Friday 7:30am – 5:30pm and Saturday 7:30am – 4:30pm
- Carmelis Goat Cheese tours – in Kelowna – Daily from 10:00am to 6:00pm
- Osoyoos Cherry Fiesta & Canada Day Celebration: in Osoyoos July 1.
- Celebrate Canada Day – in Kelowna July 1
- Kelowna Folkfest: in Kelowna July 1 from 9:30am – 4:30pm at Prospera Place.
- Armstrong Canada Day Celebrations: in Armstrong July 1 at Memorial Park.
- Canada Day Celebrations in Penticton: in Penticton July 1 starting at 8am.
- Canada Day Activities in Vernon – in Vernon July 1, 10am – 4pm
- Canada Day at Davison Orchards – in Vernon July 1, 10am – 4pm
- Peachland Canada Day events – in Peachland – July 1, all day, Heritage Park and Beach Ave.
- Many Hat’s Theatre Company Presents: The Norweigans – in Penticton Thursdays – Sundays July 6 – 30, 2017.
- Caravan Farm Theatre Presents: The Ballad of Weedy Peetstraw – in Armstrong July 25 – August 27, 2017.
- 8th Annual Retro Concert Weekend – at Sun Peaks August 11 – 13, 2017.
- Trooper, Summer Concert Series – at Sun Peaks August 26, 2017.
- Civic Sounds Live Music – in Vernon on Thursdays throughout July and August. 7pm – 9pm.
- Parks Alive – in Kelowna at various parks
- Salmon Arm Roots and Blues Festival – in Salmon Arm August 17 – 20, 2017.
- Lake Country Art Walk – in Lake Country September 9 – 10, 2017.
- Craft and Country, Beer and Music Mountain Festival – at Big White June 24 – 25 2017.
- We like to boast about all our amazing beaches here in the Okanagan. Take a look at this list of the Best Okanagan Beaches.
- Check out VernonBeaches.com for a list of most of the beaches in the North Okanagan
U-Pick Fruit & Fruit Stands:
- See here for another great list of fruit stands and u-pick fruit places in the Okanagan.
- Local Fruit Stands to watch for in Peachland: Buchanan Rd, Drought Hill, Elliot Drive, Turner Avenue, Hwy 97
- Rattlesnake Island Swim – in Peachland August 6, 2016.
- BC Cup Weekend – at Silver Star Mountain Resort, August 4 – 6, 2017.
- Kelowna Across the Lake Swim – in Kelowna in Okanagan Lake July 16, 2016.
- Peach Classic Triathlon – in Penticton July 16, 2017.
- Giants Head Freeride Longboard Competition – in Summerland June 26 – 28, 2017.
- L’Alpe du Grand Blanc Road Bike Race – at Big White Ski Resort, July 23, 2017 from 8am – 12pm.
- Granfondo Axel Merckx – in Penticton July 9, 2017
- Bats for a Cause softball tournament – in Kelowna July 29 – 30, 2017
- 55+ BC Games – in Vernon, September 12-16, 2017
- Funtastic Slo Pitch Tournament – in Vernon June 30 – July 3, 2017
- Slay the Dragon Trail Running Race – at Silver Star July 1, 2017
The Okanagan has many amazing golf courses to play! Enjoy one round or make a vacation out of it! See this list of Okanagan Golf Courses.
Festivals, Fairs & Community Events:
- Lumby Days – in Lumby June 10 – 12, 2016
- 2017 Customs and Classics Car Show – in Oyama at Swalwell Park, August 20, 2017
- Peach City Beach Cruise – in Penticton from June 23 – 25, 2017.
- Penticton Elvis Festival – in Penticton from June 22 – 25, 2017.
- Center of Gravity – in Kelowna from July 28 – 30, 2017.
- Great Train Robbery & BBQ – in Summerland starting June 4 – September 3, 2017. 1:30pm and 4pm.
- Kelowna Dragon Boat Festival – in Kelowna August 26 – 27, 2017.
- Okanagan Military Tattoo – in Vernon July 29 – 30, 2017.
- Penticton Peach Festival – in Penticton August 9 – 13, 2017.
- Interior Provincial Exhibition & Stampede – in Armstrong August 30 – September 3, 2017.
- Salmon Arm Fall Fair – in Salmon Arm September 8 – 10, 2017.
- BC’s Family Fishing Event – All across BC June 16 – 18, 2017.
- Sunshine Festival – in Vernon June 17, 2017 from 9am – 5pm.
- Endless Summer Show & Shine – in Summerland September 9, 2017.
- Funtastic Music Festival & Ball Tournament – in Vernon June 30 – July 3, 2017.
- Westside Daze– in West Kelowna June 30 – July 2, 2017.
- Summer Reading Club – at Okanagan libraries. Check your local branch for times and dates.
- Craft & Country Mountain Fest – at Big White Ski Resort, June 24 – 25, 2017
- Cinema Under the Stars – in Penticton September 15, in Vernon September 16
- Vernon & District Kennel Club – in Lavington July 7 – 9, 2017
Father’s Day Events:
- 18th Annual Father’s Day Car Show: at McCurdy Place in Kelowna, June 18, 2017 from 11am – 4pm
Places of interest:
Vernon & Area:
- Davison Orchards
- Atlantis Waterslides
- Allan Brooks Nature Centre
- Caetani Cultural Centre
- Cruise Okanagan
- Downtown Murals in Vernon
- O’Keefe Ranch
- Okanagan Science Centre
- Oyama Ziplines
- Silver Star Mountain Resort
- Falkland Museum & Heritage Park
- Vernon Dog Parks
- Vernon Museum
- Village Green Mall
- Starlight Drive-In Theatre
- Log Barn
- Vernon Playgrounds
- Vernon Public Art Gallery
- Powerhouse Theatre
- Village Cheese
- Blue Hills Lavender
Kelowna & Area:
- Kangaroo Creek Farm
- Okanagan Lavender and Herb Farm
- H2O Adventure + Fitness Centre
- Okanagan Military Museum
- Kelowna Art Gallery
- Lake Country Art Gallery
- Alternator Centre for Contemporary Arts
- Gellatly Nut Farm
- Myra Canyon Adventure Park
- Safari Ridge Adventure Park
- Scandia Golf & Games
- The Jammery
- Wild Play Element Parks
- Geert Maas Sculpture Gardens
- Okanagan Heritage Museum
- Kelowna Community Theatre
- Okanagan Symphony Orchestra
- Farm to Table
- Orchard Park Shopping Centre
- Big White Ski Resort
- Hoof Prints Barnyard
- Paynter’s Fruit Market
Penticton & Area:
- Parrot Island Sanctuary
- Peachland Museum
- Little Schoolhouse
- Beach Ride Rental Co.
- Penticton River Channel
- ZipZone Adventure Park
- Kettle Valley Steam Railway
- Cherry Lane Shopping Centre
- Linden Gardens
- LocoLanding Adventure Park
- Osoyoos Desert Model Railroad
- Penticton Museum
- Penticton Carriage Tours
- SS Sicamous Paddle Wheeler and Heritage Park
Okanagan Tourism Websites:
- Tourism Vernon
- Armstrong Tourism
- Enderby Tourism
- Tourism Kelowna
- Lake Country Tourism
- West Kelowna Tourism
- Summerland Tourism
- Peachland Tourism
- Tourism Penticton
- Okanagan Falls Tourism
- Oliver Tourism
- Naramata Tourism
- Osoyoos Tourism
Looking for deals?
Groupon has a ton of local discounted restaurants, spas, things to do and more! Check it out for great savings on the things you want to do in the Okanagan.