This was such a big hit in past years, that I took the time to update it with this year’s dates! Hope you enjoy 🙂
Are you living in the Okanagan or planning on taking a trip there this summer? The Okanagan happens to be the place I call home, so I thought I’d create a guide full of fun, frugal activities that take place in the land of sun. The goal is for this to be The Ultimate Frugal Okanagan Summer Activity Guide. If you have an event or know of a really cool place to visit, let me know and I’ll add it to the list!
- Lake Country Farmer’s Market: Fridays from 3pm – 7pm. June – September.
- Osoyoos Farmer’s Market: Saturdays from 9am – 1pm. May through September.
- Armstrong Farmer’s Market: Saturdays from 8am – 12pm. End of April – end of October.
- Salmon Arm Farmers Market: Fridays from 8am – 1pm. May – October.
- Vernon Farmer’s Market: Mondays and Thursdays from 8am – 1pm. April – October.
- Kelowna Farmer’s Market: Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8am – 1pm. April – October.
- Naramata Community Market: Wednesdays from 3:00pm – 6:00pm. June – September.
- Penticton Farmer’s Market: Saturdays from 8:30am – 1pm. April to October.
- Westbank Farmer’s Market: Saturdays 9am – 1pm. June 29 – September 21, 2019.
- Summerland Farmer’s Market: Tuesdays 9am – 1pm. April – last Tuesday in October.
- Peachland Farmer’s Market: Sundays 10am – 2pm. Open last Sunday in May – Last Sunday in September.
- Sun Peaks & Region Farmers’ Market – Sundays 9:30am – 1:30pm. June 16 – September 29.
Food & Wine:
The Okanagan is well know for its award winning wines and wineries. Many of them offer free tours and wine tastings. See a huge list of Okanagan wineries, here.
- Fralik in the Falls – in Okanagan Falls – July 6, 5pm – 9pm.
- Okanagan Wine Festivals – They have a great list of events that happen all year long.
- Mile High Wine & Music – at Silver Star – August 10, 2019, 12pm – 5pm
- Cider Tasting – at BX Press Cidery. Tastings are daily from 10am – 5pm.
- Gasthaus on the Lake – in Peachland
- Okanagan Feast of Fields – at Caldwell Heritage Farm in Kelowna – August 11, 2019.
- Okanagan Spirits Craft Distillery – Tastings available all day Monday – Saturday.
- Rogers Bulk Food Store -in Armstrong – Open Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.
- Okanagan Grocery Artisan Breads Bakery – in Kelowna – Open Tuesday – Saturday 9:30am – 5:30pm
- Okanagan Bakehouse: in Vernon – Open Tuesday – Friday 7:30am – 5:30pm and Saturday 7:30am – 4:30pm
- Carmelis Goat Cheese tours – in Kelowna – Daily from 10:00am to 6:00pm
- Farm to Table Tours – in Kelowna
- Osoyoos Cherry Fiesta & Canada Day Celebration: in Osoyoos July 1.
- Celebrate Canada Day – in Kelowna July 1
- Kelowna Folkfest: in Kelowna July 1 from 10am – 3:30pm at Prospera Place.
- Armstrong Canada Day Celebrations: in Armstrong July 1 at Memorial Park.
- Canada Day Celebrations in Penticton: in Penticton July 1.
- Canada Day Activities in Vernon – in Polson Park July 1, 10am – 4pm
- Peachland Canada Day events – in Peachland – July 1, all day, Heritage Park and Beach Ave.
- Many Hat’s Theatre Company Presents: The Savannah Sipping Society – in Penticton Thursdays – Sundays July 4 – 27, 2019.
- Caravan Farm Theatre Presents: The Coyotes – in Armstrong July 16 – August 11, 2019.
- 10th Annual Retro Concert Weekend – at Sun Peaks August 23 – 25, 2019.
- Parks Alive – in Kelowna at various parks
- Salmon Arm Roots and Blues Festival – in Salmon Arm August 15 – 18, 2019.
- Lake Country Art Walk – in Lake Country September 7 – 8, 2019.
- Craft and Country, Beer and Music Mountain Festival – at Big White July 6, 2019.
- Civic Sounds – in Vernon at the Civic Plaza every Thursday night in July and August 6 – 8pm.
- We like to boast about all our amazing beaches here in the Okanagan. Take a look at this list of the Best Okanagan Beaches.
U-Pick Fruit & Fruit Stands:
- See here for another great list of fruit stands and u-pick fruit places in the Okanagan.
- Local Fruit Stands to watch for in Peachland: Buchanan Rd, Drought Hill, Elliot Drive, Turner Avenue, Hwy 97
- Rattlesnake Island Swim – in Peachland August 10, 2019.
- Canada Cup DH Race – at Silver Star Mountain Resort, July 12 – 14, 2019.
- Kelowna Across the Lake Swim – in Kelowna on Okanagan Lake July 20, 2019.
- Peach Classic Triathlon – in Penticton July 21, 2019.
- Giants Head Freeride Longboard Competition – in Summerland June 24 – 26, 2019.
- L’Alpe du Grand Blanc Road Bike Race – at Big White Ski Resort, July 21, 2019 from 9am – 2pm.
- Granfondo Axel Merckx – in Penticton July 14, 2019.
- Bats for a Cause softball tournament – in Kelowna July 27 – 28, 2019
- Funtastic Slo Pitch Tournament – in Vernon June 28 – July 1, 2019
- Slay the Dragon Trail Running Race – at Silver Star June 29, 2019.
The Okanagan has many amazing golf courses to play! Enjoy one round or make a vacation out of it! See this list of Okanagan Golf Courses.
Festivals, Fairs & Community Events:
- Lumby Days – in Lumby June 7 – 9, 2019
- Peach City Beach Cruise – in Penticton from June 21- 23, 2019.
- Penticton Elvis Festival – in Penticton from June 27- 30, 2019.
- Great Train Robbery & BBQ – in Summerland starting June 2 – September 22, 2019. 1:30pm and 4pm.
- Kelowna Dragon Boat Festival – in Kelowna August 24, 2019.
- Okanagan Military Tattoo – in Vernon July 27 – 28, 2019.
- Penticton Peach Festival – in Penticton August 7 – 11, 2019.
- Interior Provincial Exhibition & Stampede – in Armstrong August 28 – September 1, 2019.
- Salmon Arm Fall Fair – in Salmon Arm September 6 – 8, 2019.
- BC’s Family Fishing Event – All across BC June 14 – 16, 2019.
- Sunshine Festival – in Vernon June 15, 2019 from 9am – 5pm.
- Endless Summer Show & Shine – in Summerland September 7, 2019.
- Funtastic Music Festival & Ball Tournament – in Vernon June 28 – July 1, 2019.
- Westside Daze– in West Kelowna July 12 – 14, 2019.
- Summer Reading Club – at Okanagan libraries. Check your local branch for times and dates.
- Craft & Country Mountain Fest – at Big White Ski Resort, July 6, 2019
Father’s Day Events:
- 19th Annual Father’s Day Car Show: at McCurdy Place in Kelowna, June 16, 2019 from 11am- 4pm
Places of interest:
Vernon & Area:
- Davison Orchards
- Atlantis Waterslides
- Allan Brooks Nature Centre
- Caetani Cultural Centre
- Cruise Okanagan
- Downtown Murals in Vernon
- O’Keefe Ranch
- Okanagan Science Centre
- Oyama Ziplines
- Silver Star Mountain Resort
- Falkland Museum & Heritage Park
- Vernon Dog Parks
- Vernon Museum
- Village Green Shopping Centre
- Starlight Drive-In Theatre
- Log Barn
- Vernon Playgrounds
- Vernon Public Art Gallery
- Powerhouse Theatre
- Village Cheese
Kelowna & Area:
- Kangaroo Creek Farm
- Okanagan Lavender and Herb Farm
- Okanagan Military Museum
- Kelowna Art Gallery
- Lake Country Art Gallery
- Alternator Centre for Contemporary Arts
- Gellatly Nut Farm
- Myra Canyon Adventure Park
- Safari Ridge Adventure Park
- Scandia Golf & Games
- The Jammery
- Wild Play Element Parks
- Geert Maas Sculpture Gardens
- Okanagan Heritage Museum
- Kelowna Community Theatre
- Okanagan Symphony Orchestra
- Farm to Table
- Orchard Park Shopping Centre
- Big White Ski Resort
- Hoof Prints Barnyard
- Paynter’s Fruit Market
Penticton & Area:
- Parrot Island Sanctuary
- Peachland Museum
- Little Schoolhouse
- Beach Ride Rental Co.
- Penticton River Channel
- ZipZone Adventure Park
- Kettle Valley Steam Railway
- Cherry Lane Shopping Centre
- Linden Gardens
- LocoLanding Adventure Park
- Osoyoos Desert Model Railroad
- Penticton Museum
- Penticton Carriage Tours
- SS Sicamous Paddle Wheeler and Heritage Park
Okanagan Tourism Websites:
- Tourism Vernon
- Armstrong Tourism
- Enderby Tourism
- Tourism Kelowna
- Lake Country Tourism
- West Kelowna Tourism
- Summerland Tourism
- Peachland Tourism
- Tourism Penticton
- Okanagan Falls Tourism
- Oliver Tourism
- Naramata Tourism
- Osoyoos Tourism
Looking for deals?
Groupon has a ton of local discounted restaurants, spas, things to do and more! Check it out for great savings on the things you want to do in the Okanagan.