As part of the Summer Bucket of FUN that I put together for my daughter, one of the activities was to make homemade bird feeders. We had so much fun making these!
My daughter (age 4) was able to do most of the steps on her own while I stood beside her (taking pictures!). Now that they’re done, she’s having a lot of fun watching the birds eat the seeds.
Here’s how we made Homemade Bird Feeders:
- 1 cup of Bird seed (+ a bit more as needed)
- 1 pack of Gelatin
- 1 cup Hot water
- Mixing bowl with spoon
- Cookie cutters
- Tray with foil
- Pour hot water into a bowl and sprinkle 1 pack of gelatin into the hot water.
- Stir until all the gelatin has dissolved.
- Slowly pour the bird seed into the liquid (adding a little bit at a time) and give it a stir to make sure all the seeds are coated.
- Put some cookie cutters on a tray covered in foil and fill the cookie cutters with the bird seed mixture. (Don’t make them too thick, they will take a long time to solidify.)
- Use the back of a spoon to make sure the mixture is packed into the cookie cutter tightly.
- Push a cut up straw through the mixture to make a hole ready for hanging your bird feeder.
- Put the bird feeders in the fridge for a few hours and then leave them to dry overnight.
- Carefully and slowly push the bird feeders out of the cutters.
- Remove the straws and thread the ribbon through the hole to hang.