I wanted to create my own version of homemade Febreze to test out on my husband’s soccer gear. I came up with a recipe, but I’m not entirely convinced it will work to get the smell out completely. (Although, real Febreze isn’t 100% effective either!) It does work really well on regular fabrics in our home though!
Here’s the recipe I came up with:
- a small spray bottle from the travel-size section of any store
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp fabric softener
- warm water
- 10 drops of essential oil I used lavender
- Add the baking soda and the fabric softener to the bottle using a funnel.
- Add enough warm water to fill the bottle nearly to the top. Water must be warm to dissolve the baking soda.
- Add essential oil.
- Close the bottle, shake it up, then get your home smelling good!
I tried making the Febreze without fabric softener, but didn’t see (smell) any results at all. I also came across some recipes online that use vodka and water that I may try one day.
Have you ever made an effective homemade Febreze before? What are you favourite homemade cleaning supply recipes?