Here’s a recipe for one of my new favourite breakfasts, Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal! It’s really versatile so you can change it many ways to suit your tastes!
Not only are these refrigerator oatmeal jars quite filling and packed with a ton of nutrition, they’re delicious as well! While chia seeds don’t add any flavour (making them super versatile), I just really love the texture they add to the oatmeal.
They should last quite a few days in the refrigerator without fresh fruit added. I like to make two at a time, but it would be really great to make a week’s worth! My personal favourite way to make this is with brown sugar and fresh berries (whatever I have on hand) Grapes are also delicious. I’m sure if you add some cut up apple and cinnamon, you’d have a tasty concoction! Or how about some peanut butter and bananas? The options are endless.
- ¼ cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats (quick oats also work)
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt (regular yogurt works too)
- ¼ - ⅓ cup milk
- 1½ tsp chia seeds
- ¼ tsp vanilla (optional)
- Sweetener of your choice
- Fresh fruit
- Place oatmeal in a small canning jar (or container)
- Add in yogurt, milk, chia seeds, vanilla (optional) and your preferred sweetener (brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, stevia, jam, etc.)
- Stir up, then place in the refrigerator covered, to eat the next morning.
- Add fresh fruit just before you eat.